You are ready to market your small business, and you have many strategies at your disposal. Are you going to market yourself via Facebook or Twitter, pay for ads on Google search, invest in great website content, or start building your email list?
As you develop your marketing strategy and funnel, and use the best CRM software to track your project, it can be helpful to break your approaches down into two broad areas:
- Small business organic marketing strategies, which help your website, articles, and other content appear on search engines and reach people’s inboxes
- Paid promotion, where you pay for ads to appear next to search engine results, on websites, and in social media feeds
Get a Foundation in Small Business Marketing
Below, we’ll discuss small business organic marketing strategies, and how they can become an essential part of your overall marketing strategy. We’ll look at the three main organic channels, and look at the best resources, software, tools, and platforms for each channel.
We build on the topics we explored in our previous guides, specifically:
We recommend that you scan the posts above to get a good grounding for the concepts we’ll explore in this guide.
Let’s get into it.
Organic Marketing Basics
Organic marketing is about promoting your business in three main ways:
- website Content Marketing that you publish on your website or other sites that attract people to your online business
- Social media content that you share in many social networks, so that your followers and fans can see and interact with this content
- Newsletter and email content that you send to people who have joined your mailing list
Organic marketing is different from paid advertising, because you don’t pay to show your content to your audience. You may still need to pay for original content creation, but once you do, you rely on organic search, social media feeds, and emails to promote your business.
Website content marketing strategies
You can use website content marketing in several ways:
- Create your own content Publish on your website, so that your pages appear in organic search when people search for keywords related to your industry, products, and services
- Create your own content Posted on other sites, with a link to your website to help increase your search potential (by creating backlinks)
- Create your own content Publishing on third-party platforms Like YouTube, Medium, Reddit, etc., which leads to more interest in your business
- Creates Organic Social Media Content (We’ll get into that shortly)
How to Create Website Content Marketing
Here is a breakdown of the steps you can follow to develop excellent website content marketing:
- Content strategy development: You don’t just want to generate random content – it should all be part of a cohesive marketing strategy. This means building a marketing plan, aligning your content and channels so that you communicate in the right way, with the right people, at the right time.
- Select the type of content you want to create: You have a lot of options here, including: blog articles; videos; commentators. landing pages photos and illustrations; Podcasts and audio. branding and graphic design; Website design and more.
- Define content and create instructions: Determine what you want the content to be, how it should look, the approach it should follow, and other key factors.
- Find someone to create the content: Depending on your skills and abilities, you can create content yourself, get an employee to do it, or provide independent help from outside. For example, the writer of this article is a freelance writer specializing in business and technology.
- Working together to create content: Go through the process of drafting content, creating, reviewing, and feedback, until you get the content you want.
- Decide where you will post the content: You may choose to publish on your own website or on a related site as guest content or on a third party platform.
- Post content and track results: Use analytics and other tools to see how your content is performing, so you can tweak, improve, and create high-performance content in the future.
The best content marketing software and tools
- Project and content tracking: GatherContent, Monday.com, Clickup, Asana
- Create content: Adobe Creative Cloud (Illustrator, Photoshop, Premier, etc.), MS Office, Google Office Suite, Canva
- Track your site visitors, how they got there, and what they did: Google Analytics
- Keywords for content marketing and tracking: Google Search Console, Google Analytics, HubSpot, SEMRush, and other tools
Best Freelance Content Marketing & Recruitment Platforms
The best platforms and companies to find and hire freelance content creators include from Fiverr, Fiverr Pro, Upwork, Toptal, 99Designs, LinkedIn, and individual job sites.
Organic Content Marketing Strategies for Social Media
You can use social media marketing in several different ways:
- Build a comprehensive social media strategy for what and when to post
- Set up Pages, Groups and Accounts your audience can like and follow
- Create and share content on your favorite social networks such as Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn
- Manage groups and discussions on social media
- Engage with customers, feedback and other interactions with your brand
How to manage organic marketing on social media
You’ll follow some of the same steps with organic social media marketing as you would with regular website content marketing, so we won’t go into too much of that detail here. Instead, it is helpful to focus on your social media content marketing approaches. You will like:
- Develop an organic social media content strategy: According to website content marketing, but focusing on the social networks that your customers are likely to distribute.
- Select the type of social media content you want to create: As per site content marketing.
- Define social media content and create instructions: As per site content marketing.
- Find someone to create your social media content: According to website content marketing, however, you will want to find someone who specializes in creating social media content, as this is a very specific skill set.
- Find someone to manage your social media: Hire a Social Media Marketing Manager/Coordinator who can monitor, manage and communicate through your social media accounts.
- Work together to create social media content: As per site content marketing.
- Decide where you will post your social media content: As per website content marketing, however, you will need to match the content to your social media channel: for example, highly visible posts for Instagram and Pinterest, professional posts on LinkedIn, short posts on Twitter, etc.
- Post social media content and track results: As per site content marketing.
Best Social Media Marketing Software & Tools
- Social media content creation: Adobe Creative Cloud (Illustrator, Photoshop, Premier, etc.), MS Office, Google Office Suite, Canva
- Track your website visitors, how they got there, and what they did: Google Analytics
- Social Media Marketing, Monitoring and Tracking: Google Analytics, HubSpot, Hootsuite, Buffer, Sprout Social
Organic Content Marketing Strategies via Email and Newsletter
Email and newsletter marketing is slightly different from the other methods we mentioned, in that you will be marketing to people who have already subscribed to your email list. This means a slightly different approach, as you’ll share information with prospects who already know about your business. The process tends to work as follows:
- Encourage people to sign up to receive emails from you, usually by motivating them with lead attraction or similar marketing
- Building an email list for interested clients
- Create an email marketing campaign that sends out useful news, guides and information about your products and services
- Set up email automation to send your emails
- Track the effectiveness of your email campaigns
How to create emails and newsletters
You’ll follow some of the same steps with newsletters and email marketing as you would with regular website content marketing. We’ll cover that briefly, but we’ll focus more on the unique aspects of email and newsletters.
- Developing an email and newsletter marketing campaign: You’ll want to put together a step-by-step marketing strategy and campaign for the exact mix of emails you’re sending, along with a schedule for sending out the email after a customer signs up.
- Select the type of email content you want to create: As per site content marketing.
- Select the content of the email and create the instructions: As per site content marketing.
- Find someone to create the email content: According to website content marketing, however, you will want to find someone who specializes in creating email and newsletter content; Also consider the other parts of your email campaign, as these emails will “drop” and depend on each other.
- Work together to create email content: As per site content marketing.
- Use email software to automate your drip campaign: We have listed some useful software below.
- Send your emails and track results: You’ll want to measure open rates and the number of times people click through.
Best Email Marketing Software and tools
- Create email content: Adobe Creative Cloud (Illustrator, Photoshop, Premier, etc.), MS Office, Google Office Suite, Canva
- Email Marketing and Tracking: Constant Contact, MailChimp and other tools
Marketing automation software can be incredibly useful for managing your organic channels. From scheduling social media posts to sending out emails on the right schedule, here’s a guide to creating an automated marketing flow that works for you.
Organic marketing is incredibly beneficial for businesses. If used well, it can create strong connections, share useful information, and build trust—great starting points for selling your products and services.
Further reading about marketing
Learn more about marketing, including job automation between businesses or just in general, in our explanation that answers the following questions: What is digital marketing? What is marketing automation. And what is B2B Marketing Automation.